When it comes to applying makeup, everyone has their own techniques and preferences. One trend that has been gaining popularity is mixing foundation with oil.
While this may seem like an unusual combination, there are actually several benefits to doing so.
Firstly, adding oil to your foundation can help to create a more natural and dewy finish. This is particularly useful for those with dry or mature skin, as it can help to hydrate and plump the skin, giving it a more youthful appearance.
Additionally, mixing oil with foundation can help to thin out full coverage formulas, making them easier to apply and blend.
However, it’s important to note that not all oils are created equal, and some may not be suitable for use on the face. It’s important to choose a high-quality, non-comedogenic oil that won’t clog pores or cause breakouts. Some popular options include argan oil, jojoba oil, and rosehip oil.
Benefits of Mixing Foundation with Oil
There are several benefits to mixing foundation with oil, including:
- Hydration: Adding oil to foundation can help to hydrate the skin and prevent it from drying out. This is particularly beneficial for those with dry or mature skin.
- Dewy finish: Mixing foundation with oil can help to create a dewy, radiant finish that looks natural and healthy. This is because the oil helps to reflect light and give the skin a luminous glow.
- Improved coverage: Adding oil to foundation can help to improve the coverage and make it more blendable. This is because the oil helps to create a smoother texture that is easier to work with.
- Longer lasting: Mixing foundation with oil can help to make it last longer on the skin. This is because the oil helps to create a barrier that prevents the foundation from breaking down or rubbing off throughout the day.
Overall, mixing foundation with oil can be a great way to improve the look and feel of your makeup.
Whether you have dry skin, want a dewy finish, or just want to improve the coverage and longevity of your foundation, adding a few drops of oil can make a big difference.
How to Mix Foundation with Oil
Mixing foundation with oil is a simple process that can be done in a few different ways. Here are some steps to follow:
- Add a few drops of oil to your foundation
- Dispense your usual amount of foundation onto your hand or a mixing palette.
- Add 1-2 drops of facial oil to the foundation and mix it together with a brush or sponge.
- Apply the mixture to your face as you normally would.
- Use facial oil as a primer
- Apply a few drops of facial oil to your face and massage it into your skin.
- Wait a few minutes for the oil to absorb into your skin.
- Apply your foundation on top of the oil as you normally would.
It’s important to note that not all oils are suitable for mixing with foundation. Avoid using heavy oils that may cause your makeup to slide off your face. Lighter oils such as argan oil or jojoba oil are great options for mixing with foundation.
Also, keep in mind that mixing oil with your foundation may change the consistency and coverage of your foundation. If you prefer a more matte finish, this may not be the best option for you.
However, if you want a dewy, glowing finish, mixing oil with your foundation may be a great choice.
Types of Oils to Mix with Foundation
When it comes to mixing foundation with oil, there are a variety of oils to choose from. Each oil has its own unique properties that can benefit different skin types and concerns.
Argan Oil: This oil is rich in antioxidants, vitamin E, and fatty acids, making it an excellent choice for those with dry or mature skin. It can help to hydrate and nourish the skin while also reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Jojoba Oil: Jojoba oil is a lightweight oil that is easily absorbed by the skin. It is ideal for those with oily or acne-prone skin as it can help to regulate sebum production and prevent breakouts. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe irritated skin.
Rosehip Oil: This oil is packed with vitamins A and C, as well as essential fatty acids. It can help to brighten the skin, reduce hyperpigmentation, and improve overall skin tone and texture. It is particularly beneficial for those with dull or uneven skin.
Marula Oil: Marula oil is a deeply hydrating oil that is rich in antioxidants and fatty acids. It can help to improve skin elasticity, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and protect the skin from environmental stressors. It is ideal for those with dry or mature skin.
Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is a popular choice for mixing with foundation as it is affordable and widely available. It is a deeply moisturising oil that can help to soothe and hydrate the skin. However, it is important to note that coconut oil can be comedogenic and may clog pores, so it may not be suitable for those with acne-prone skin.
These are just a few of the many oils that can be mixed with foundation. When choosing an oil, it is important to consider your skin type and concerns to ensure that you select an oil that will provide the most benefit to your skin.
Tips for Using Foundation Mixed with Oil
Using foundation mixed with oil can provide a variety of benefits to your makeup routine. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of this technique:
- Start with a small amount of oil. You can always add more if needed, but it’s best to start with a little and build up as necessary.
- Mix the oil and foundation together thoroughly before applying. This will ensure an even application and prevent streaks or patches.
- Use a brush or sponge to apply the mixture to your face. This will help distribute the product evenly and ensure a smooth finish.
- Blend well around the edges of your face, including your jawline and hairline, to avoid any visible lines or demarcations.
- Set your foundation with a powder to help it last longer and reduce any excess shine.
- Experiment with different oils to find the one that works best for your skin type and desired finish. For example, jojoba oil is great for dry skin, while grapeseed oil is better for oily skin.
Remember that mixing oil with your foundation can help create a more natural, dewy look, but it may not be suitable for everyone.
If you have very oily skin, for example, you may find that the added oil exacerbates the problem. However, for those with dry or combination skin, using oil can help provide much-needed hydration and a healthy glow.
Mixing facial oil with foundation is a popular trend that has been gaining traction in recent years. While there are many benefits to this technique, it is important to note that it may not be suitable for everyone.
For those with dry skin, mixing facial oil with foundation can provide much-needed hydration and create a dewy, luminous finish. However, those with oily skin may find that this technique exacerbates shine and causes their makeup to slide off throughout the day.
It is also important to consider the type of oil being used. Some oils, such as argan oil, are non-comedogenic and can actually help to regulate oil production. Other oils, such as coconut oil, can clog pores and cause breakouts.
Overall, whether or not to mix facial oil with foundation is a personal choice that depends on individual skin type and preferences. Those who choose to try this technique should experiment with different oils and application methods to find what works best for them.
I’m Jennifer a beauty and wellness expert. I believe in promoting a sustainable and healthy lifestyle from within. Helping people feel good is my passion; whether it’s teaching yoga or offering skincare advice.