Hummus is a Middle Eastern dish usually served as a dip. It’s often made using cooked chickpeas or garbanzo beans with sesame paste and something acidic like lemon juice added to give it bite.
This dish has been around for hundreds of years and more recently has had olive oil and garlic added as traditional ingredients.
Did you know that you could make hummus from pistachios, though? Pistachio hummus adds a new twist on this classic dish, changing up the flavor and taking it in a different direction than what you might be used to.
The pistachios are added to the dish rather than replacing any key ingredient, so you still get all the traditional flavors and components, but with something extra thrown in.
How to Make Pistachio Hummus
Most dips are fairly simple to make, requiring you to combine all of your ingredients in a blender or in some other way so that you can smooth them into a creamy texture.
Pistachio hummus isn’t much different, and I’ll share with you a fairly simple recipe to make it at home.
- 1 can of chickpeas, completely drained and then rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup of chopped pistachios
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup of water
- Put half a cup of pistachios into a food processor along with half a cup of water and all of your olive oil.
- Run the food processor until your ingredients have formed a paste.
- Next, add in lemon juice, the rest of the water, garlic cloves, and chickpeas.
- Process until you have a thick, creamy paste that’s the right consistency for hummus. If you want a thinner hummus, add in some more water, only adding a little bit at a time.
- Add in 1/4 cup of chopped pistachios, as well as salt and pepper to taste.
You can serve your pistachio hummus immediately with chips, veggies, or something else to dip into the hummus. Or, you can chill the hummus first.
How To Store Pistachio Hummus
After you’re done serving the hummus, whatever is leftover should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container. How long will pistachio hummus last in the fridge? If you’re storing it properly, it can last anywhere from 7 to 10 days.
If you leave the hummus out or there are temperature fluctuations in the fridge, it may go bad sooner. Look for signs that it may have gone bad before you use it again, like changes in color, flavor, or how it smells.
It’s okay to store hummus in the freezer, in a freezer safe bag or container. It can store the freezer for up to four months, however, but the longer you store it in the freezer, the less flavor it may have when you take it back out. To use the frozen hummus, place it into the fridge overnight to thaw it out completely.
If you buy your hummus from the store and just add pistachios to it to make your own version, that can last a bit longer. When you’re making a homemade hummus, though, it will only last about 7 to 10 days in the fridge.
Is Pistachio Hummus Good for You?
Hummus is a good source of nutrients, with a decent amount of protein and fiber and plenty of carbohydrates. That makes hummus kind of filling and a good source of long-term energy, but it’s also high in fat.
A serving of hummus that’s 100 grams will have nearly 10 grams of fat and about 170 calories. There are ways to make it even healthier, though it’s difficult to cut down the fat or calorie content of this dish.
Combining hummus with pistachios is a good idea if you want to improve the nutritional benefits. Pistachios are rich in fiber and are a good source of unsaturated fat. That unsaturated fat means it’s good for your cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure.
If you want to have healthy cholesterol levels and keep your fat in check, eating foods that are high in unsaturated fat like pistachios is a good option.
Pistachios are also an excellent source of protein, and the high fiber content means that they can help you feel full and not have hunger cravings as much.
If you’re looking to keep your weight under control or lose weight, having pistachio hummus as part of your regular diet is a good option.
Pistachios are also really good for your digestive health, promoting good bacteria and great gut health. That can help fight problems like indigestion, constipation, upset stomach, diarrhea, and other digestive issues.
How to Make Lentil Pistachio Hummus
Hummus is usually made from cooked chickpeas, but it can be made with lentils instead. This is a new twist on an old dish, but it’s one you may fall in love with quickly. Here’s the recipe.
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of toasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 clove of grated garlic
- 1 cup of finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup of cooked lentils, with liquid included
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- Put the pistachios into a food processor and pulse until they are chopped fine.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, coriander, salt, water, and olive oil to the food processor as well and pulse.
- Finally, add in parsley and lentils and pulse again until your ingredients reach the right consistency for hummus.
Before serving your lentil pistachio hummus, check the flavor and see if it needs any additional salt or maybe a little black pepper for seasoning.
If it doesn’t have enough bite, you can always add a little more lemon juice to it, but go sparingly. If it’s too thick, you can add a little more water to thin it out.
My name is Ellis Francis and I have been a personal fitness trainer, sports nutritionalist and health and fitness advisor for over 25 years. I am the lead health and fitness advisor at https://awellnessbody.com.